Monday, November 11, 2019

Becoming Toy

Welcome all who come to this happy place,

This week we have learned to master the warp and brush tools in Photoshop. Using these tools we were able to transform a photo of ourself into a doll and locate the doll version of us into a location we have never been before.

Because the holiday's are coming up, I was inspired to get festive for this project! I decided to make myself into a porcelain doll ornament. Christmas is an extremely big deal to my family. It is something that brings us together. We have several holiday traditions that we hold very close to my heart. My favorite has always been about our Christmas tree. Every year we would travel far away to cut down our own Christmas tree. We would bring our beautiful new healthy tree into our home, play some holiday music AND a Christmas movie -usually the Santa Claus- and then we would dress it in beautiful lights and ornaments. To be honest, my mom would do the light decorating. Once all the lights were on my sister, mom and I would all grab one ornament at a time out of our giant box of unique ornaments my mom had collected over the years. Every ornament has a story or memory. My mom had a porcelain ornament from the years my sister and I were born. I decided to honor those beautiful ornaments and make a porcelain doll version of myself. Given that this ornament is a little creepy for Christmas, it was the best way I could achieve the porcelain doll effect.

To do this I used a brush and refine edge tool to erase the background of my chosen photo. Then I used the direct selection tool to locate just the skin of my photo. I then I added a new adjustment layer and changed the vibrance of my skin to negative 80. Then I created another adjustment layer using curves that allowed me to contrast the black and white tones of the photo. The final and third layer adjustment I made was with sold color. I used solid white under soft light to truly create the porcelain doll effect. Then I combines all my layers to create a smart object and liquified them. Once all my layers were under one smart object I was able to actually manipulate my face to truly make it look like a doll. So I started with the bloat tool to make my eyes and lips appear much larger as a doll's eyes would look. Then I used the pucker tool to make my nose appear much smaller and reminiscent of a doll. To conclude my project I put my tag brush on the image. I tried to make it blend in so it would not stand out too much because I did not want it to take away from my picture. So I placed my tag brush on the gold ornament in the top right corner. Below you can find the final image of my project.


Overall, it is a creepy image of an ornament that I probably would not put on my tree. But it accomplishes what was asked of the assignment and it was quite fun to do! Thank you for reading

See ya real soon!
Carley Heskett

3 comments:

  1. Really love this piece ! I think you did a fantastic job turning yourself into a doll. I like that you went with a Christmas theme as we're in the season and you executed this really impressively. The placement of your tagbrush on the ornament is perfect and looks as though it originally belonged there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this doll is one of the most creative as it looks realistic enough to represent yourself, but still looks like an ornament. It is really fitting for the holidays approaching and you did really well creating an overall visually appealing composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great image, and one that certainly captured the goal and idea behind this project as a whole. With the holiday season approaching, it's a great idea to do something to complement that! An underrated part of the project which I think is also used well is the tag brush, which is brilliantly hidden in plain sight! I blends so nicely with the ornament, it's hard to tell that it isn't an ornament!

    ReplyDelete